Thursday 9 October 2014

Shabby Chic Dressing Table Make-Over with DecoArt Chalky Finish Paints



Hello Friends! 

The autumnal weather has turned a little wet and chilly here in Oxfordshire and I'm starting to longingly reminisce the summer days... 

Thankfully there are still occasional sunny spells that help me remember this time of year is also truly endearing :). 

That's why I decided to make the most of a dry weekend day and finish this little beauty (apologies, the sun decided to hide behind the clouds when these photos were taken).

A while back we bought this lovely vintage writing desk (ok, it's only a reproduction but don't tell anyone!) and I thought it would make a perfect dressing table. I loved it's original look, the patterns on the wood finish were beautiful. But as it wouldn't go with the design I have in mind for our bedroom, it needed a make-over.

And this was when I again got sooo excited to have been given the opportunity to play (some more) with DecoArt's Americana® Decor™ Chalky Finish paints. These paints are great as they can be used virtually on any surface imaginable :).

My whole table was first painted with Lace. Then on the drawers I used different mixing combinations of Innocence and Lace, with further Lace washes over it, wiping the colour off in places, until I got the result I wanted. 

The desk top was painted with Yesteryear.


I also added a little detailing with Yesteryear on the drawers. 


Once the paint was dry, I did a LOT of sanding for a shabby chic distressed look. 

Then I finished the table with a coat of Clear Wax and buffed it for a nice delicate satin sheen. It looked great but I decided I wanted a bit more 'drama' on the drawers so I waxed the drawers with the Clear Wax tinted with some Deed Brown wax and again, buffed it to a nice silky finish.


These paints are really great to work with! The best thing about them is that there is no need for all the tedious sanding and preparation before you start. As long as your item has been cleaned, you are ready to go.

And the waxes are lovely to work with, too. You can easily make little mixes of the Clear Wax with a darker shade, if you want to control the amount of 'vintage drama' you add to the project. Just remember to coat the whole piece with a Clear Wax first - this will prevent the paint staining with the darker waxes.


I must add a word of warning. Once you catch the 'painting bug', you will find it difficult/impossible to stop looking around the house for your next furniture painting project, much to your family's dismay. Bear that in mind before you start... lol.

Happy Thursday everyone and thanks for stopping by!

Big crafty hugs

Follow on Bloglovin
♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin'



Linking to:
Feathered Nest Friday
Sweet Haute
My Romantic Home
Weekend Re-treat Link Party
Home Sweet Home

6 comments:

Joanna Wiśniewska said...

Super! Bardzo mi sie podoba.

Val said...

This is stunning, love the vintage look.
Valxxxx

Netty said...

Loving your fab results. Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

Love how girly and shabby chic you made this Joanna. The transformation is gorgeous!

Jenny Marples said...

Aren't these paints great/addictive! Love your upcycling and complete girly transformation. Jenny x

Ros Crawford said...

What a fabulous make over!! I love the colours and what a great idea to use a writing desk with all those little drawers ... Just what a girl needs!

.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... All content, except where stated (including text, photographs and designs), is copyright of Asia King (Creative Spell Designs). I share my artwork for personal inspiration only. I don’t mind if you copy any of my designs for your own personal use, providing you give me credit by referring to my blog. You may not however copy my designs and photographs for contests and publications entries (online or otherwise) or to sell in either handmade or printed form. You may not copy my designs and photographs for advertising & commercial purposes, without my prior permission. Thank you for your understanding.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Craft Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blog button flower Photobucket Crafty Blogs

Let's Tweet!

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Under a creative spell, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena