Monday 19 December 2011

Altered Christmas candles

Re-edited: Wooo hoooo! I'm the winner of the Delicious Doodles challenge!!! Yeeeeeey! ;)))
Wooo hooo again!!! My candles have also been chosen as a Ginger Gem in the GC Spicy Supply (wax) Challenge!!!! ;)))

I've been craving to try this new technique for a looooong time but somehow I was too scared lol ;). I thought it was going to be really difficult but suprisingly, it wasn't at all!

And here's what this post is all about...:


If you haven't tried to alter a candle yet - you must give it a go! It gives amazing results and is really rewarding ;).

All you need is a permanent ink (I used Timber Brown StazOn), tissue paper, greaseproof/baking paper (optional but quite useful), heat tool and something else...err... right - a candle of course lol!


Once you've stamped your image onto the tissue, place it on the candle then wrap the candle tightly with the baking paper. This will help you keep the image in place at the start and will also help to keep the shape of the candle when the wax starts to melt. Try no to over-heat the candle. It's better to repeat the heating process than having to reshape your whole candle lol ;). When the wax starts to melt, the tissue will magically disappear into the candle and your stamped image will look as professionally printed onto it!


The stamps I've used are from the Vintage Christmas Stempelglede set - err.... just for a change lol ;). Have I meantioned how much I loooove this set??? I just don't seem to get enought of it... ;D

The candles have been snugly wrapped with patterned paper and ribbon bands. The paper bands have been stamped with Crafty Individuals Santa Sleigh stamp and slightly distressed with Tea Dye DI.


I also stamped a few Crafty Individuals pine trees onto acetate, cut out and placed around the piece. I love the "see through" effect it gives, as if you can almost peek through the trees to see what's behind ;).


The glass plate was covered with glass pebbles and faux snow. And the pine cones were painted with white and gold acrylic paints. It's difficult to show it on a photo but I love the soft sparkle of the pebbles, paint and the gold embossing on the patterned paper.

Hope you have a lovely week and I'm back to my Christmas preparations!

Big hugs



Challenges for this project:
The Artistic Stamper 'Dec - Christmas
The Stamp Man - New technique
GC #130 Spicy Supply Challenge - Wax
Crafty Individuals 'Dec - All wrapped up
Addicted to Stamps #19 - Snowflakes
Dream Valley Challenges #22 - Christmas
Gingerloft Challenges #30 - Christmas and Winter
Opus Gluei - I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
The Squirrel and the Fox #7 - Christmas
Alphabet Challenge - W for white Christmas
Delicious Doodles #8 - X-travagant Xmas
Fairy Fun Fridays #68 - Holly Jolly Christmas
Inkspirations Challenges #100 - Christmas
Inspire Me Fridays #37 - Anything goes
Jellypark Challenges - Anything but a card
Jingle Belles - Something Christmassy
Mami Doodles #40 - Altered Art/Home Decor
Raise the Bar #86 - Christmas
Make it Monday #68 - Anything goes

43 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

What a gorgeous display, the candles are stunning and the images work so well. Lovely centrepiece. Tracy x

Jennifer Scull said...

oh my goodness, these are some of the most beautiful decorated candles I have seen in a long time. the way you have set up your display is lovely as well. thank you so much for playing along in our 'Anything but a Card' challenege at Jellypark Friends. :)

Hels Sheridan said...

Gorgeous! Loving how pretty these are... thanks for playing along with The Artistic Stamper challenge... Merry Christmas x

Ros said...

Oh these are stunning ... you made it look so simple and professional

Cazro said...

Stunning as ususal, they do look very professional, they would sell in that large store in London with a green bag. hugs Caz

Brenda Brown said...

These make such a glorious collection together for Christmas Joanna - stunning work as always.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Daniele said...

Stunning candles, I have so got to have a go at this ....I think I might have to get that stamp set its so delish looking
hugs

Maggie said...

Gorgeous candles looking so festive!

Jean Hardy said...

What beautiful Christmas candles Joanna - lovely! Thanks for joining in the CI Challenge. Jean

Unknown said...

They look amazing my friend.. I have never tried this but it looks like it would be fun to give it a try. I love the lace on top. such a nice touch..

Hugs, Linda

Ephemera said...

Oooooooh these are fab-u-lous. I love this stempelglade stamp set too, it is so gorgeous, and so are your wonderful candles, I feel so tempted to have ago now. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. XX

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh these are absolutely gorgeous, Joanna!!! Wow, I love them. Merry Christmas to you!!!
XO
Cindy

Mrs.B said...

The candles look amazing Joanna. Have never tried this, but after reading your info, I might give this a try.
Have a wonderful Christmas & New Year.
Avril xx

shaz earl said...

stunning candles!

Thank you for sharing with us at Alphabet for our "White Christmas" challenge

Hope you will join us again x

Nigel said...

The candles are beautiful. Maybe I'll try this next year, thanks for the inspiration. x

Eva Marie said...

Beautiful candles!

Thanks for playing at Dream Valley!
Merry Christmas.

xx

Terry said...

Beautiful and elegant candles! Love the images and the little lace touches! No one will burn those!! I remember doing this using waxed paper and loved it. Will have to do this once again! Have a wonderful day!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic candles, great for the coming Christmas days.
I haven't tested this technique yet.
Wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas.

rudlis said...

Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Alphabet Challenge Blog this week.

Carol Q said...

stunning Joanna.... will look beautiful on your Christmas dinner table!

Enfys said...

Hi Joanna, just popped over to wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. Your candles look gorgeous!
hugs
En xx

TeenaBugg38 said...

So THAT'S how you do that???? OMG these are just beautiful! If you stamp phrases or something tho do is do the mirror effect or reverse image? I'd really like to try this......by the way....found you via Make it Monday!

trisha too said...

Wow, so pretty! Thank you for joining in the Spicy Supply (Wax) Challenge at Gingersnap Creations!

:)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Wow, what a lovely project, I would love to try to make one someday, thanks for the tips! have fun preparing for Christmas!!!

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi Joanna Clever use of tissue and stamps with candle to create a lovely gift .Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Dream Valley.xx

Unknown said...

Oh WOW. they are just beautiful, perfect entry for our X-travagent Xmas at Delicious Doodles. Have a Merry Christmas and happy new year
Hugs
Ildiko

lauren bergold said...

you know, i've seen those before, and i too thought, "WOW THAT LOOKS HARD!!!" but your text is so clear and your results are sooooooo very ♥FAB♥ that i kind of think i *MIGHT* be able to do this... and now i SO want to TRY! thanks for the inspiration!!!

Electra said...

Your candles are lovely Joanna! Thanks for joining us at Opus Gleui and have a wonderful Christmas!

Marisa said...

Fabulously done!! Love how you decorated the candles and added the images. Great project! Thanks for joining us in our last Inkspirations challenge :)

Pritesh Dagur said...

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming to visit through Make it Monday :)

laury55 said...

love your candles...they are so beautiful

Rosemary said...

These look marvelous - so elegant and classy. You make them sound so do-able too! Okay, I have to try this craft out. My mind is whirling with all the holidays I can use this for too! I love it and they really look beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us at Opus Gluei, I think you are inspiring a lot of us!

Tracey said...

I tried this technique recently too and loved it. Your candles are gorgeous. Thank you so much for joining us at The Squirrel and The Fox for our Christmas challenge. I hope to see you there again soon.
Tracey
x

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

How beautiful. Something I've never tried either, these do look stunning and next year I must give these a go.
Thank you for joining in with us at Crafty Individuals.

Thanh Vo said...

What beautiful candles!!!

I hope that you're enjoying the holidays with your family. Thanks for joining us at Raise the Bar for the December challenge.

Jenn Zeeb said...

Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at “Maimi Doodles Challenges” for the Altered Art/Home Décor Challenge.

Jenn Zeeb
Maimi Doodle’s DT

SmilynStef said...

Thanks for the great instructions for making your lovely candles ... so glad you joined our wax challenge at Gingersnap Creations.

trisha too said...

Congratulations on your piece being chosen as a Ginger Gem in the Spicy Supply (wax) Challenge!!

:)

Mary Ann Potter said...

These are beautiful! Congratulations on being chosen as a Ginger Gem for the wax challenge. Your work is exquisite.

Yvonne Garner said...

Brilliant Joanna! Congrats on your win at Gingersnap Gems! Well deserved. Might I ask is baking paper also known as parchment paper? Have a great day. Best, Yvonne

Ellie Knol said...

Congrats on being a Gingergem!

Ink Art Designs said...

these candles and how you have put them all together is so beautiful! It would have made a gorgeous centrepiece over xmas. Your instructions on how to do everything made it seem easy Joanna....I will definitely give it a go! Congratulations on being picked as a gingergem :)
Dot x

.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... All content, except where stated (including text, photographs and designs), is copyright of Asia King (Creative Spell Designs). I share my artwork for personal inspiration only. I don’t mind if you copy any of my designs for your own personal use, providing you give me credit by referring to my blog. You may not however copy my designs and photographs for contests and publications entries (online or otherwise) or to sell in either handmade or printed form. You may not copy my designs and photographs for advertising & commercial purposes, without my prior permission. Thank you for your understanding.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Craft Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blog button flower Photobucket Crafty Blogs

Let's Tweet!

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Under a creative spell, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena